In an election cycle dominated by negative campaigning, we've endured a bruising 8 month assault on our civic moral and pride. After all, the ads were designed by the parties mobilize their base by in part demoralizing the base of the opposition to the point they become unmotivated voters less likely to cast a ballot.
Jim Baca understands this. That's why he refused to engage in the politics of personal destruction, regardless of the provication by his opponent. However, that hasn't stopped Pat Lyons, who surged 7 points in the most recent Abq Journal poll, due partly to an effective negative / compare/contras ad by Lyons which Baca decided not to hit back on.
However, in the case of Pat Lyons, when the negative is true and accurate, it's also called reality.
Therefore, as a proponent of reality driven decision making, I put together a series of clips one should read before casting their vote Pat Lyons.
The Facts on Lyons:
• Pat Lyons;; On ignoring environmental watchdog groups for the good of the children. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxuH7-_PGI
• Opposed drive up liquor window ban.
• Chaired Bush / Cheney 04 campaign in New Mexico. http://www.lyonswatch.com/Truth Squad Article.htm
• Over 90% of Lyons’ campaign contributions come from people who do business with his office. http://freenewmexican.com/news/50065.html
http://www.lyonswatch.com/Oil and Gas Contributors.htm
• Warned New Mexicans not to vote for Baca because the BLM and the Bush administration wouldn’t work with a Democrat. http://freenewmexican.com/news/49682.html
• Lyons claims says he wants to maximize revenue from state lands to benefit New Mexico school children, but in 2003 Lyons opposed legislation that increased distributions from the permanent fund to public schools and other institutions. http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/495671nm09-24-06.htm
• Lyons’ $1.5 Billion Deal With a Crook http://www.abqjournal.com/north/489350north_news09-02-06.htm
• Lyons proposed a total control lease in the Luera Peak area north of the Gila Wilderness that would have permitted a single individual the right to lock up the area, keeping most hunters out. Scores of average sportsmen would have been denied access to the prime hunting area if the deal had gone through. It was only because of a few watchful New Mexico Sportsmen that this deal was cancelled."
• There’s a simple reason why the incumbent Republican land commissioner has an overwhelming advantage over Baca in campaign contributions, and it’s the same issue that Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth deals with: Big Oil doesn’t want someone like Baca in office because he’s serious about protecting the environment … and they aren’t . --Jerry Ortiz y Pino
• State Land Commissioner Patrick Lyons intervened in a lawsuit on behalf of a Valencia County landowner who gave political contributions to Lyons before, during and immediately after the court fight. http://freenewmexican.com/news/48130.html
• Pat Lyons featured children in campaign commercials without first seeking the permission of their parents by allow the principal of the school in which the commercial was shot to believe it was a promotional video for education in New Mexico and not a partisan campaign commercial. http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2006/oct/27/parents-object-lyons-tv-ad/
• Pat Lyons’ “sweetheart” no-bid land deal for campaign contributors. http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/47629.html
• Time and again, Lyons has put the interests of the developers and profits ahead of communities and resources. See Moon Mountain development. http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/478209nm07-23-06.htm
• White Peaks: Pat Lyons attempted to give a campaign contributor the ability to lock up one of the premiere elk hunting spots in New Mexico.
• Lyons claims to be a proponent of renewable energy but it’s all a sham. http://www.dukecityfix.com/index.php?itemid=2042
• Tax Payer Funded TV ads Raise Questions; Execs: spots look like campaigns. http://www.backchannelmedia.com/articles/3076
• Pat Lyons and Big Oil: Thick as Thieves. http://freenewmexican.com/news/50130.html
• The environmental issues at stake. http://freenewmexican.com/news/49561.html
• Land Commissioner Buys Truck with Campaign Funds http://www.lyonswatch.com/Truck Article - AP - May 10, 2006.htm